Blue Card Information

About the "Blue Card"

The law came into effect on August 1, 2012. It introduces the "Blue Card EU" as a new residence permit, given to those foreign nationals who hold a university degree from a
recognized Institute/University.

The EU Blue Card permit has been incorporated into the German Residence Act as part of the implementation of the European Directive on highly qualified employment, the aims of which are to introduce a single residence permit for highly qualified workers at EU level, to make such a permit attractive and thus to facilitate and promote the migration of this group of workers. The Blue Card is a new residence permit for non-EU nationals who have an academic or equivalent qualification and a defined level of minimum salary. Through the EU Blue Card, non-EU nationals with a university degree or equivalent qualification may be awarded a residence permit for the purposes of taking up employment based on their qualification.

Conditions for the EU Blue Card

German or recognised foreign or comparable foreign higher education qualification.
Evidence of an annual minimum gross salary of  EUR 55.200,- in 2020.
Exception: in the case of an EU Blue Card being awarded to scientists, mathematicians and engineers or to doctors and IT specialists, a lower salary limit applies, about EUR 43.056,- in 2020.
Permit limited to a maximum of four years upon first issue.

NEW! Skilled Immigration Act

The Skilled Immigration Act, is a new law which expands the possibilities for qualified professionals to come to work in Germany. Now, it´s easier for skilled workers with vocational, non-academic training from non-EU countries to migrate to Germany in order to work. The current conditions for qualified professionals with university degrees will remain in place, with some relaxations of the rules.

Qualified Professionals

A qualified professional is defined as a person with a tertiary education degree or a vocational training qualification following a training course lasting at least two years. Irrespective of whether you have a university degree or a vocational qualification, you´refirst required to have your foreign qualification officially recognised by the relevant authority in Germany.